Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Technique Tuesday Father's day banner tutorial

In celebration of all the wonderful dads and sweet husbands out there, here is a Father's Day banner tutorial for you.  


Supplies:
Limoncello Paper Stack [available at Michaels]
Scissors or paper cutter
Tie template [provided below in Step One]
Bone folder or score tool
Adhesive
Paper punch
Ribbon
Buttons
Foam squares
Metal letters


Step One
Cut paper according to the tie banner template. [Scale template page to 8 1/2" x 11".]


Step Two
Follow the template to score and fold the pieces on dotted lines.


Step Three
Adhere the back of the tie shape closed and attach the tie knot to the top. [Hot glue works really well.]


Step Four
Punch holes in the top of the ties and string the ties onto the ribbon. Tie buttons between some of the ties. [I used a wire folded in half as a simple needle to make it easier to thread the ribbon through the button holes.]


Step Five
Embellish the ties with "I love you" tag from the paper stack and "Dad" metal letters. [I used  foam squares to give the tag some extra dimension.]



Have a wonderful Father's Day!
-Kathy Dobson

18 comments:

  1. How adorable...love this idea...tfs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your banner and really want to make one for my hubby!
    Great inspiration! Thanks for the template but could you do a PDF file because my copy came out gray and takes a lot more ink due the gray background from the computer screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I'm sending a PDF file of the template to your email. I hope it works better for you. Happy crafting! -Kathy

      Delete
  3. cute idea and perfect to use my Scan N Cut to do all the cutting for me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute banner and awesome idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very adorable and so fun!
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful idea!! My daughter and I want to make this for dad and grandfathers!!
    May I also be sent a pdf of the tie template? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, I'd be happy to send you a PDF template. Just email me at kathydobson@dcwv.com so I can get your address. Have a great day!

      Delete
    2. I have sent you an email.
      Thanks again!

      Delete
  7. FABULOUS banner!!!
    LOVE the ties and LOVE the papers too!!!
    THANK YOU for sharing your tutorial and inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun banner! Thanks for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathy, this is so cute, Kathy....very clever. May I request a file, too? Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just send your email address to me at kathydobson@dcwv and I can send you a PDF file. I'm so glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete